Common Personal Injury Questions And Answers

At Edgar Law Firm, we have been representing personal injury victims and their families since 1988. If you have questions about a potential case, call our Santa Rosa office at 707-387-0960 to set up a free, personal consultation.

You can also review the frequently asked questions and answers below:

How much is my case worth?

Every case is different. Even if you and your neighbor were both injured in car crashes, the odds are that you would each deserve a different amount of compensation. The worth of your case is based on your particular injuries, the extent of those injuries, your age, your earning capacity, your future medical bills and many other factors. The best way to understand how much you deserve is to consult a lawyer.

Can I seek money if I was partly at fault for the accident?

In most cases, the answer is yes. California follows the "comparative negligence" rule in auto accident cases, which means that you can seek compensation even if you were 99 percent at fault. However, the percentage that you were at fault will count against the amount of money you ultimately receive.

Here's an example: the jury decides that your damages are worth $100,000. The jury also decides that you were 10 percent at fault and the other driver was 90 percent at fault. You would be able to recover 90 percent of your damages, or $90,000.

Should I accept the settlement offer that the insurance company sent me?

Whether or not to accept a settlement offer depends on numerous factors. One of the most important things to remember, however, is that insurance companies are businesses. Their primary goal is to make a profit. This means that any amount of money they willingly offer you is likely to be less than you deserve. We highly recommend speaking with attorney Donald S. Edgar before you accept a settlement and sign away your rights.

What does it cost to hire an attorney?

We take nearly every case on a contingency-fee basis, which means our fees are contingent upon successfully winning or settling your case. If we don't obtain compensation for you, we don't get paid. This means you can work with a lawyer risk-free, without having to pay anything upfront.

Have other questions? We're ready to answer them. Contact Edgar Law Firm today to schedule your free consultation: 707-387-0960.